Butter chicken is said to be originated from the Northern part of India, Punjabi to be precise. This is made more lovely by adding tangy tomatoes, yogurt, and smoky kasuri methi (dried fenugreek).
This is a meal that has gained world wide recognition by Indians all over the world. Butter chicken also tastes great alongside kaali daal (black lentils), naan (flatbread), and a green salad.
There is a quote from the Disney movie by Remy that’s says “Anyone can cook!”
Yes! Anyone can cook you simply need to be imaginative and strong hearted. Do not let anyone define your limits because of where you come from.
This post can help you make Murg Makhani (Indian Butter Chicken). You just need to know the right ingredients for making this delicious meal. It is recommended to make the spices from scratch or the the right spices for better result.
1 lime (or lemon, juiced)
1 teaspoon red chill powder (adjust to suit your taste)
1 cup fresh unsweetened yougurt (must not be sour)
Salt (to taste)
2 1/4 pounds boneless chicken (skin removed)
2 teaspoons ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
3 tablespoons vegetable oil (or canola or sunflower cooking oil)
2 onions (finely chopped)
2 teaspoons garlic paste
1 teaspoon ginger paste
1 (14-ounce) can chopped tomatoes (ground into a smooth paste in a food processor)
2 cups chicken stock
2 tablespoons kasuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves)
3 tablespoons butter
Garnish: coriander (cilantro) leaves
8 to 10 peppercorns
1-inch stick cinnamon
2 bay leaves
8 to 10 almonds
Seeds from 3 to 4 pods cardamom
Note: “Marinade (is a mixture of oil, wine, spices, or similar ingredients, in which meat, fish, or other food is soaked before cooking in order to flavour or soften it.)”
1. In a large non-metallic bowl, mix the chicken, lime juice, salt, and red chili powder.
2. Cover and allow to marinate for 1 hour
1. With a medium heat, heat a flat pan and gently roast (stirring continuously) the peppercorns, cinnamon, bay leaves, cloves, and almonds until they darken slightly. Allow to cool before adding the cardamom seeds.
2. Now grind into a coarse powder in a clean, dry coffee grinder.
1. This time mix yogurt, spice powder (that you made from above), ground coriander, cumin, and turmeric. Simply add them to the marinated chicken.
2. Cover and allow to marinate for additional 1 hour.
1. Heat the oil in a deep pan. Once hot, add onions and fry until it’s pale golden brown in color. Now add the ginger and garlic pastes. Fry for a minute.
2. This time, add the chicken (reserving the marinade) and fry it until the chicken turns opaque and the flesh goes from pink to whitish in color.
3. Now be sure to add the ground tomatoes, chicken stock, kasuri methi, and the reserved yogurt-spice marinade to the chicken.
4. Cook the chicken till it is tender and the gravy (note:gravy is a sauce made by mixing the fat and juices exuded by meat during cooking with stock and other ingredients) is reduced to half its original volume.
5. You can melt butter in another small pan and then pour it over the chicken.
6. Simply garnish with coriander leaves and serve with naan and kaali daal.
Trust this guide is helpful? The amazing thing is that you can get almost all the ingredients from SPAR outlets. It does not matter if you are not Indian or you are Indian, you can make this meal to look like you are in India and enjoy this lovely meal. Kindly share with friends who might love to make intercontinental dishes.